MLB Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtrafford View Post

From where I'm sitting, this improves the odds for success for MLB, actually saves money and enhances the quality of their depth.
    And I could see how certain Independent Leagues could take the place of lo-A and Rookie Ball for those players who don't want to go to college. They can get paid a reasonable salary and prove they can play with wooden bats. Now, we would also need similar leagues in Latin America and then bad anyone under 19 from signing with an MLB club.

Comment

Originally posted by hawesg View Post

And I could see how certain Independent Leagues could take the place of lo-A and Rookie Ball for those players who don't want to go to college. They can get paid a reasonable salary and prove they can play with wooden bats. Now, we would also need similar leagues in Latin America and then bad anyone under 19 from signing with an MLB club.
      I do believe some evolution is due here, but you've raised a good point about creating a "common" (not club affiliated) training grounds for international kids. That's mandatory to not provide a leg up for access to the game by younger international kids, not punishing US kids from staying in the system, and giving all of them a path to obtaining guidance and development education and opportunity. Or perhaps we take our LowA and Rookie leagues and form international leagues in foreign soil to compensate? I don't know...

Comment

Looks like they’ve pretty much confirmed what most expected. They went underslot to sign Elder who slipped because of sign ability issues.

Comment

Be interesting if they can sign Elder or not. Not sure how much over-slot he's gonna be, we only have about 1.1 M or so to offer him.

Comment

Braves picked up Cam Shepherd as an UDFA.. Could be a really nice signing. Baseball America had him as the top rated senior available.

Comment

Originally posted by RefugeeZ View Post
              Braves picked up Cam Shepherd as an UDFA.. Could be a really nice signing. Baseball America had him as the top rated senior available.
              Well, there's your system middle infield prospect...

Comment

Originally posted by RefugeeZ View Post
                Looks like they’ve pretty much confirmed what most expected. They went underslot to sign Elder who slipped because of sign ability issues.
                Yep, everyone signed except for Elder. Now we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by rtrafford View Post

Well, there's your system middle infield prospect...
                  Followed him closely..Kid can really play SS..I don't expect great things at the plate. He actually is very similar to Dans, though Dans was a much better college hitter..

Comment

Braves sign 5th round pick Elder for 850k..514k over slot value...Conversely, 2nd round pick Franklin signs for 497k...

Comment

Gotta give the Royals credit..Their move to continue paying all their milb players for the entire year had led to them cleaning up with the non-drafted 20k guys..Really smart move..Showing goodwill can't be underestimated..

Comment

Originally posted by Tmac13 View Post
                        Braves sign 5th round pick Elder for 850k..514k over slot value...Conversely, 2nd round pick Franklin signs for 497k...
                        Nice, but still feels like a dull draft. I think I'm more excited about Cam than any of the drafted players.

Comment

Did we sign the guy from Clemson ?

Comment

Originally posted by BravesBobbleHead View Post
                            Did we sign the guy from Clemson ?
                            Yeah, signed all 4 picks

Comment

Working...
                            X