MLB Attempting to Start Season in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Attempting to Start Season in May

The League and Union are working on a plan with the advice of health officials that would have players in camp again by May and then start the season soon after

Season would start in Arizona

Comment

Bring it on.

Comment

Did they build a geodesic dome over the entire state of Arizona to keep the virus out? I must have missed that..

Comment

I'll need to look into this but I doubt this is feasible unless they've decided to play without fans for a long time. We still need to see things happen like the antibody testing, standardizing testing that doesn't take a long time, and establishing the treatment that works.

if they decided to go without fans, then maybe it is feasible.

I'm also guessing that they may try to stay in Arizona for a while too. 2 weeks or so of spring, then regular season games.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
            I'll need to look into this but I doubt this is feasible unless they've decided to play without fans for a long time. We still need to see things happen like the antibody testing, standardizing testing that doesn't take a long time, and establishing the treatment that works.

if they decided to go without fans, then maybe it is feasible.

I'm also guessing that they may try to stay in Arizona for a while too. 2 weeks or so of spring, then regular season games.
            I talked to a few people. A concern from multiple scouts is lighting. Most of the spring sites in Arizona don't have MLB quality lighting and playing day games in June in the middle of the desert doesn't seem feasible..I guess maybe they can bring in portable lights to get by..

Comment

I looked into this...

I suppose trying to do this is possible but it would require a lot of luck and to make the gains that I honestly was talking about for the potential of fall sports. If you are able to get to the point of mass-producing testing that produces a result on the same day, then you could just constantly test the players and everyone involved with the team (staffs and hotel personnel) and quickly isolate if there are positives instead of shutting the league down. This idea is also in the camp that we've figured out the treatments that will most likely work best, although MLB players in most cases are like those NBA players, they will mostly be OK.

Would probably need to have to have an expanded version of something like NFL inactives. Because even with best efforts, you're unlikely to avoid positives. So, if you get a positive (or more), you have to designate those players as inactive and activate those players that you took along for this situation. It would be weird, but it's better than no sports. Maybe those inactives combine and have games in the backfield to be ready.

Honestly, something like what I described above is probably your best bet with seeing sports happen this year period.

Comment

They could do it here in NC if they wanted. They have a shit tone of minor league stadiums

Comment

Originally posted by BravesBobbleHead View Post
                  They could do it here in NC if they wanted. They have a shit tone of minor league stadiums
                  Sounds like they picked up Arizona because they could play 2 or 3 games a day at Chase and rotate thru all the Spring Training sites for the other games..

Comment

Sounds like a .... terrible... idea based on current projections of the status of the virus.

Comment

It may turn out to be an absolutely horrible idea, but unless another deal is struck that was like the one that was a couple weeks back that includes paying players for a season that's not happening, at some point, I think odds are quite good of MLB giving it a legitimate stab before saying "fuck, we can't do it" at some point.

That is, unless we spiral to total hell over the next two weeks. IF that were to happen, then I think nobodies focus will be on baseball.

I'm not seeing May though. May for teams to meet back up maybe. June or beyond's more realistic I think for something.

Comment

I'll be shocked if this happens

Comment

There was one interesting idea that I heard floated- automated ball and strike calls so the home plate umpire can keep back a safe distance from the batter and catcher.

Comment

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

I like this for a one season solution..Plus dh for the NL would have to happen..

Comment

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE
                              • NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
                              • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
                              • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE
                              • NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland Athletics.
                              • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
                              • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

Comment

Working...
                              X