MLB Attempting to Start Season in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tmac13 View Post

It's all about the 900m dollars grievance the mlbpa is going to file..Apparently that number is the difference in dollars to players from the 60 game schedule to the 114 game schedule the players 1st proposed. This was pushed by Boras and a group of agents on Clark and their clients. Boras thinks he has the data to prove the case that every team could have paid 114 full prorated and been ok. The best case for players is winning the grievance and forcing owners to open their books. The worst case is they lose the grievance but still force the owners to open the books going into the new CBA negotiations.
    Oh wow.... I really thought they would come with something better than that. If that's the case I think it's even less likely they get the books opened then what i was expecting. That's just really poorly thought out because MLB has a simple rebuttal to the 114 game proposal. The season wouldn't have ended until November so money is irrelevant.

Comment

• I'm more in the middle on the COVID thing (and starting to get a little worried about football), but although we won't find out for the years, and I'd have loved to see 114 games, the MLBPA is definitely not winning if they say that we were able to play that many games. It was unlikely, but if they try with 114, then can forget about it.

It's especially not going to look great if you see fall sports have to shut down. It's tenuous as it is with colleges saying that we are going to stop face to face after Thanksgiving (although there's only one week of schooling after that).

Comment

• Originally posted by RefugeeZ View Post

Oh wow.... I really thought they would come with something better than that. If that's the case I think it's even less likely they get the books opened then what i was expecting. That's just really poorly thought out because MLB has a simple rebuttal to the 114 game proposal. The season wouldn't have ended until November so money is irrelevant.
        I'm going to be quite surprised to see this play out in a manner where the owners are forced to do anything given this path. MLBPA will lose the grievance and will be proven to have delayed the season start solely for the purpose of preserving their rights to file a grievance. This just screams incompetent to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
          I'm more in the middle on the COVID thing (and starting to get a little worried about football), but although we won't find out for the years, and I'd have loved to see 114 games, the MLBPA is definitely not winning if they say that we were able to play that many games. It was unlikely, but if they try with 114, then can forget about it.

It's especially not going to look great if you see fall sports have to shut down. It's tenuous as it is with colleges saying that we are going to stop face to face after Thanksgiving (although there's only one week of schooling after that).
          Counsel for MLB takes the timeline, the exchanged offers along the way, the delayed voting by MLBPA, the conflicts between Tony and his players, and the Bauer tweets...places them into a slide show for a virtual hearing, and wins on summary judgement....

Comment

• So, now about half of mlb teams are talking about playing with fans in the stands..

So much for owners negotiating in good faith..

Comment

So, now about half of mlb teams are talking about playing with fans in the stands..

I give that idea a slim and none chance of happening. A place like Florida might not care, but the outrage from media is going to stop Miami from having fans for example.

But like what was discussed earlier, if the players decide that they're going to file the grievance saying we could've played 114 games, that's not getting through either. It's especially going to look bad if we see fall sports stopped or not even play.

Comment

I give that idea a slim and none chance of happening. A place like Florida might not care, but the outrage from media is going to stop Miami from having fans for example.

But like what was discussed earlier, if the players decide that they're going to file the grievance saying we could've played 114 games, that's not getting through either. It's especially going to look bad if we see fall sports stopped or not even play.
                +1, until i see it happen it's hot air. You still have state wide restrictions in the vast majority of places that would prevent it happening anyway.

Comment

So, now about half of mlb teams are talking about playing with fans in the stands..

Fans were in the stands as a component of the initial negotiated deal under which they are playing. Why is that bad faith?

Comment

Only reason it stops is because the players themselves are catching the virus, and the cases on any single team spikes to a level where the roster isn't really manageable any longer or safe tot he incoming players.

That aside, the MLBPA in showing their desire to actually get some of that money Trevor was tweeting about might actually open up a window for the two sides to negotiate not only increased player salaries for this season coupled with a bigger post season, but the owners might be able to use that to possibly craft a new CBA during this regular season play as to avoid a calamitous winter, even if but a few years of extension on the existing CBA with some tweaks including more language for these scenarios. Get the players back to the table by offering them another bite at the apple that they passed on.
                    Last edited by rtrafford; 06-29-2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X