MLB Attempting to Start Season in May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tmac13 View Post

The owners were smart to go 60..If I was an owner, I would still push for the universal DH and expanded playoffs. Expanded playoffs means more money for everybody, and the universal DH just makes sense this year..The last thing a team like the Braves need is for a Fried or Soroka to get hurt running the bases in a short season..I can't imagine the players rejecting a chance for more playoff bonus money and the DH..But who the fuck knows..
    Interesting is that the difference in the outcome of the no vote yesterday and presumed yes vote today creates a carve out of the requests by owners:
    • extended playoffs from 10 teams to 16
    • playoff pool from $25mm to $50m
    • DH
    If you accept the player no-vote yesterday on its face, the players don't want these things. Must assume that they "don't want these things under their current contract structures". But they could have voted yes yesterday and then negotiated for these issues this winter during CBA talks.

So logic says there must be a grievance filed. I think. Who the fuck knows...(besides Boras). One thing is clear, and that's Tony Clark isn't in charge of anything.

Comment

• Major League Baseball issued the following statement Monday night:

“Today, the Major League Baseball Players Association informed us that they have rejected the agreement framework developed by Commissioner Manfred and Tony Clark. Needless to say, we are disappointed by this development.

“The framework provided an opportunity for MLB and its players to work together to confront the difficulties and challenges presented by the pandemic. It gave our fans the chance to see an exciting new Postseason format. And, it offered players significant benefits including:

1) The universal DH for two years
      2) A guaranteed $25 million in playoff pools in 2020
      3) $33 million in forgiven salary advances that would increase the take home pay of 61% of Major League players
      4) Overall earnings for players of 104 percent of prorated salary
      5) Over the last two days, MLB agreed to remove expanded Postseason in 2021 in order to address player concerns

“In view of this rejection, the MLB Clubs have unanimously voted to proceed with the 2020 season under the terms of the March 26th Agreement. The provisions listed above will not be operative.

“In order to produce a schedule with a specific number of games, we are asking that the Players Association provide to us by 5:00 p.m. (ET) tomorrow with two pieces of information. The first is whether players will be able to report to camp within seven days (by July 1st). The second is whether the Players Association will agree on the Operating Manual which contains the health and safety protocols necessary to give us the best opportunity to conduct and complete our regular season and Postseason.”

Comment

• I wonder if Super Mario is still thinking of implementing the mandatory two week quarantine for travelers from FL coming into NY. Obviously he's afraid of playing the Rays in a shortened season.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrafford View Post

Interesting is that the difference in the outcome of the no vote yesterday and presumed yes vote today creates a carve out of the requests by owners:
          • extended playoffs from 10 teams to 16
          • playoff pool from $25mm to $50m
          • DH
          If you accept the player no-vote yesterday on its face, the players don't want these things. Must assume that they "don't want these things under their current contract structures". But they could have voted yes yesterday and then negotiated for these issues this winter during CBA talks.

So logic says there must be a grievance filed. I think. Who the fuck knows...(besides Boras). One thing is clear, and that's Tony Clark isn't in charge of anything.
          I think someone has convinced the players the grievance issue overrides their own self interest. I have a feeling that someone is Boras..

Comment

I think someone has convinced the players the grievance issue overrides their own self interest. I have a feeling that someone is Boras..
            I'll say that one thing became clear. The owners want a bigger post season program, and they want the NL DH. I would have guessed the first but not the second. Will be interesting to see what the players do this winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtrafford View Post

I'll say that one thing became clear. The owners want a bigger post season program, and they want the NL DH. I would have guessed the first but not the second. Will be interesting to see what the players do this winter.
              Players want the DH as well. I expect that it'll be back in the next CBA and while there's going to be a hoist of other issues, whenever that CBA passes, pitchers hitting (outside of special cases) will be gone forever. So, 2021 will be the last pitchers hitting year.

Comment

So, I guess we are getting baseball? Still a little confused. IMO, players fucked up voting down the last proposal. Vote was 33-5, which shows at least some wanted to accept it..Would love to know how many of the no votes were under Boras influence. I have talked to 4 different folks that feel Boras worked really hard to sabotage any agreement but they don't know his motives for doing so..

So, the players voted down the 60 game with all the good stuff(universal dh, expanded playoffs, etc) but will now be forced to play 60 without the good stuff..All in order to preserve their right to file a grievance..I think they outsmarted themselves..
                At least 8 players from my research on it.. The really alarming part to me wasn't just how many players he had but their positions. several of the primary positions are all filled with Boras clients. With the current structure of the MLBPA his craws could be deeeeeep into it. I dont really want to go back looking for it but i mentioned this a while back when his name started popping up in rumors.
                Last edited by RefugeeZ; 06-23-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• If the bigger postseason becomes a thing going forward in baseball, where half the teams in each league make the postseason, I think I'm probably done. I like baseball and all, but the benefit to building a truly dominant team is vanishing. There is no team so good that it can consistently win 4 or 5 series straight against 1/3 to 1/2 of the league. It's just silly. It's a silly crapshootish thing for anyone to be emotionally invested in.

The days of a dominant Braves team going to the world series 4 times in 6 seasons are long done and over.

Comment

• As a fan i was actually looking forward to the expanded playoffs for THIS season... It's already a short shotgun season so personally I liked the idea of rolling the dice with a March Madness type playoffs structure. Maybe you get some surprises and underdog runs

Comment

• Originally posted by Optimator View Post
                      If the bigger postseason becomes a thing going forward in baseball, where half the teams in each league make the postseason, I think I'm probably done. I like baseball and all, but the benefit to building a truly dominant team is vanishing. There is no team so good that it can consistently win 4 or 5 series straight against 1/3 to 1/2 of the league. It's just silly. It's a silly crapshootish thing for anyone to be emotionally invested in.

The days of a dominant Braves team going to the world series 4 times in 6 seasons are long done and over.
                      I think I'm on the opposite side of this..Expanded playoffs gets more fans excited and I also think it leads to more teams trying to be competitive year in and year out..

Comment

• Stark just confirmed only division games and cross league division games.

I’m guessing something like 10 games against each division rival and four games against each inter league team
                        Last edited by BravesBobbleHead; 06-23-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• Nightingale says the universal DH is still in for health reasons along with the stupid runner on 2nd base to start extra innings...I despise that rule..Although, it could guarantee guys like Billy Hamilton or Lane Adam's jobs for years..

Comment

• Originally posted by BravesBobbleHead View Post
                            Stark just confirmed only division games and cross league division games.

I’m guessing something like 10 games against each division rival and four games against each inter league team
                            Yep, that would make sense. Seeing initial 30 man rosters that will gradually be reduced to 26..Apparently individual players have 72 hours to inform teams if the don't intend to play..That should be an interesting list..Since the initial 33m in players salaries will now not be forgiven, 42% of all mlb players will be paid under 100k..

Comment

• Since guys are going to be rusty if it was up to me the first three series would all be inter league

Comment

• I'm stoked to again discuss politics during baseball games with you guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X